Friday, February 25, 2011

Chambersburg Half Marathon

The 32nd running of the Chambersburg Pa Half Marathon will be held on Saturday March 12th.  For those of you who are not familiar with running, a half marathon translates into 13.1 miles.  I registered for this race today.  I have decided to use this race as a training session, i.e., a comfortable, easy paced long distance run.  This race is very affordable at $40 per entrant and finisher's medals will be awarded.

I have every intention on going into this race as a personal fun run.  I am not going to push to hit any specific finishing time.  Instead I am going to run based on how well I feel as I progress through the race.  One concern I have is which pair of shoes to wear for this race.  I like to wear lighter shoes for races, but for a race of this distance I may need to don heavier and more supportive training shoes.  I will most likely be running for nearly two consecutive hours to finish this race.

The course contains some formidable hills which should serve to build leg strength.  I'll need to be cognizant of fluid replenishment throughout the run. Hydrating adequately prior to a run is an artful endeavor.  Hydrate too much and you'll need to make a port-a-potty stop during the race. For this race, a bathroom break would not be critical because I am not running for time.

Last year a business named US Candids took pictures at this race.  It appears last year's race was both cold and wet after viewing the pictures on their website. I believe the same business will  be on hand this year again.

I enjoy running within a large group.  There is some type of energy I feed off of during these runs.  It's been several months since I have run a race and I am looking forward to toeing up to the starting line soon in Chambersburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment