Monday, February 21, 2011

Taste of Spring

Last Thursday and Friday we experienced temperatures in the upper 60's. I had an all day training class at work on Friday. I decided to leave work early on Thursday and go for a run.

Since I had a window of several hours available for this run, I decided to do a long run.  My last effort at a long run the weekend prior failed miserably as I had to abort the run after about three miles due to inexplicably premature and excessive fatigue.

Running is not an easy endeavor, but when you are in decent shape and the weather is comfortable, a run can be exhilarating. My Thursday long run was an exhilarating run.   I completed ten miles and still had some energy left in the tank.  I even ran the ten miles at a decent clip.

I keep track of my run pace and distance using my Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch.  My winter runs are always much slower than my spring and fall runs.  I believe I have trained fairly hard this winter although you would be hard pressed to tell from the paces and times I have been logging.  My successful ten mile run suggests I am running longer more effectively.

I have intentions of running a marathon again but I feel I am still two years away from being able to run twenty six miles with any level of competitiveness.  Two years from now would place us in the year 2013, which coincidentally would mark my 50th year on God's green earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment