Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Transformational Running Pace

When I first began running last year a comfortable running pace for my long runs translated into a range spanning from 9:00 (nine minutes) per mile to about 9:30.

Fast forward one year to today and my new comfortable running pace is on the order of about eight and a half minutes per mile for my long runs.

Their are several factors which have contributed to my faster 'base' pace this year. Not surprisingly, I have more lung capacity this year. My breathing last year was so labored I had to wear headphones to drown my cacophonic droning. My breathing is definitely much less personally annoying this year.

My chicken legs have strengthened into veritable turkey legs. My extensive hill climb training this year has served to add some much needed bulk to my leg muscles.

The factor I feel which has contributed the most to my faster pace is my increased range of motion with my legs, i.e., I am much more flexible than ever before. I have incorporated technique drills into my training regimen which serve to stretch or elongate my leg muscles as I exercise them.

The mechanics of traversing a given distance while running can be reduced to two simple components. The first component is the length of an individual stride and the second is referred to as a turnover rate, i.e., the frequency of your stride.

I would like to increase my range of motion and flexibility this fall to enable myself to cover more ground with each stride. The Garmin GPS company makes a foot pod which I could attach to my sneaker to determine my turnover rate when I run. But at a $100 price tag, I'll just have to venture a guess as to which component is responsible for my pace accelerating.

I would like to be the beneficiary of another incremental increase with respect to my base pace next year. It's a lofty goal, but I would like to break twenty minutes for a five kilometer run. (3.1 miles) That pace equates to six minutes and twenty six seconds (6:26) per mile . I believe I can run that fast now for about 1.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment