Monday, August 23, 2010

Another Lesson Learned

Many runners use the weekend as the venue for their long distance runs. A long distance run for advanced runners is on the order of 12-20 miles.  My long distance runs currently range from 7-9 miles  I typically like to do a long distance run on Saturday mornings to eliminate this item first from my weekend to do list.   I was extremely tired Saturday morning and decided to forgo my morning run in favor of a few more hours of rest. I had initially planned to reschedule my long run for Sunday morning.

Saturday afternoon rolls around and I get a sudden spike of energy and decide I want to do my long run. The temperature was in the mid 80's and the humidity level was tolerable.  The long runs are to be run at a very relaxed pace.  You are exercising what are called your slow twitch muscles or fibers.

As I entered my fourth mile of running I felt I was straining too much for this distance I had run.  I had underestimated the impact of the summer's heat and humidity upon my body.  Some would say I overestimated my ability to withstand the summer's heat and humidity. I was becoming increasingly dehydrated and I had a formidable three miles to complete for my run.

I decided to stop at the Paramount sports complex at the southern end of town and rehydrate at a water fountain within the building.  This complex is located at the end of the fifth mile of my long distance route. For whatever reason, I have never previously set foot within this complex.  I decided to walk around within the complex to do some casual surveying of the facility

I found a water fountain and began drinking. After one sloppy set of slurps I had to wipe my face clear of some excess water.  Much to my dismay, I noticed my hand was bloodied after the wipe.  I immediately headed for the men's room and noticed I had a bloody nose. It was not bleeding profusely or I would have noticed my plight earlier.

I was disappointed in myself because I knew my body was telling me something is wrong.  My blood pressure has been very high recently and I believe the nose bleed was related to my blood pressure issue.

I finished the last two miles by walking about an 1/8th of a mile and then running an 1/8th of a mile.

My lesson learned this weekend is that I must not run if the temperature is above 85 degrees and/or the humidity is high. I like to run in the heat - but I don't want to do more damage than good by exercising in what amounts to the 'wrong conditions.' If I don't make the run in the morning, then I need to wait until the next morning to address the missed workout.

There was a football player for the Washington Redskins named Albert Haynesworth who recently suffered from the condition Rhabdomyolysis.  I was also recently disgnosed with this same condition and need to avoid it like the plague in the future. The following is excerpted from an article relating to his condition

"Rhabdomyolysis is basically a condition in which you have extensive muscle breakdown," Dr. Lynne P. Yao, chairman-elect of the National Kidney Foundation, told The Washington Post. "It doesn't happen as often in well-conditioned athletes, but if there's really extreme circumstances -- like extremely hot weather -- than that could happen. When you have large amounts of muscle breakdown."

When muscle is damaged a protein called myoglobin is released  into the bloodstream and filtered out by the  kidneys.  Myoglobin breaks down into potentially harmful compounds The treatment for Rhabdomyolysis consists of both rest to prevent further muscle damage and hydration to flush the myoglobin out of the kidneys. Failure to address this condition in a timely manner has resulted in fatalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment