Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Personal Super Bowl - TD Bank's Beach to Beacon 10K Race




The Beach to Beacon ten kilometer race (6.2 miles) is a point to point race in Maine which finishes at a lighthouse called the Portland Head Light within the Fort Williams park in Cape Elizabeth. It is one of the most picturesque lighthouses in the United States. Runners from many countries as well as 41 states will be racing.  There will be about 6500 runners at the starting line (see pic above). 

Temperatures are forecasted to be in the 60's for the race. If this forecast holds true, it should make for a pleasant run.  Many of my runs this summer have been grueling because of the associated heat and humidity.

I have dedicated a fair amount of thought to how I would like to run the race and what time I would like to achieve.  I need to step back and make sure I have fun running this race. We have planned a very short family vacation around this race.

Since my wife is currently a stay at home mom and is going back to school this fall we do not have the cash funds for this trip.  We were able to save enough dinero for the lodging, but were going to finance our food, gasoline and souvenirs.  Our children's grandparents graciously assisted us with our vacation funds - which should help to pay for our food.  My wife and I decided it was important for our kids to spend time with their mother during their formative years, but I am looking forward to someday being a two-income family.

Finances aside, our family should have a great time in Maine.  We are going to take our kids to see Thomas the Train in Boothbay Maine.  My wife and oldest son are going on a whale watching cruise.   We are also going to see a botanical garden, a wildlife park, a lighthouse and a children's museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment