Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fall Running Season is Approaching

Fall is not only my favorite time of the year to relax, but it is also my favorite time of the year to run. The temperature lowers in the fall and the humidity becomes much less of a factor. Also the scenery is typically much more beautiful as the leaves change color.

If I recall correctly, when I ran last October I got the sense I was running effortlessly because the weather was so conducive for running. The fall is great for running personally because I have logged over 500 miles of running for the year once this season begins. My excellent performance at the Beach to Beacon 10K race could be attributed to the cool 54 degree weather - very similar to fall weather.

There are many marathons in the northeastern part of the United States which are held in September and October because of the great weather. Running marathons during the summer months would most likely be regarded as irresponsible by a race organizer as the probability for serious health risks increase dramatically.

I have a long term goal of running the Boston marathon. It is held in April every year. You have to qualify for the Boston marathon by running in a marathon which has been blessed as a BQ or Boston Qualifier marathon. I have no chance of running the Boston marathon in 2011, but I am seriously setting my sights on 2012.

In order to run Boston in 2012 I would have to complete a marathon next year in under three hours and thirty minutes. Running 26.2 miles in this time equates to an average of eight minute per mile pace. I would like to determine f I am half way to qualifying for Boston by running a half marathon this fall in one hour and forty-five minutes - at the same 8:00 / mile pace.

Hershey PA has created a brand spanking new half marathon aptly named the Hershey Half Marathon. It's to be run on Sunday October 3rd. Unfortunately this event sold out this week, so I will not be testing my marathon capabilities there.

I had blood drawn again today for further testing of my kidney functionality. If my kidneys are deteriorating, I will need to retire any thoughts of running the Boston marathon. For now I will feed the dream.

On Sunday September 12th, Pottsville PA hosts a half marathon named the Sol Lipton Run Fest. The race fee is a dirt cheap $20 complete with a finishers medal. The commute is about one hour. Very enticing.

Addendum: The Mohawk Hudson River marathon has a high percentage of runners who qualify for Boston because of the BQ conducive course. http://www.mohawkhudsonmarathon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment