Monday, May 17, 2010

Ten Mile Run - Barely

I decided to see if I could run ten miles at a decent pace this past weekend.   My efforts last year at running this distance resulted in a very slow pace at the tail end of the run.  It was not uncommon for me to exceed a ten minute per mile pace at the end of a long run of this distance last year.

The route that I typically take for my weekend long run begins and end at my home, a seven and a half mile loop about the eastern side of town.  I tacked on a three mile loop through an adjacent development to yield a ten and a half mile route.

I tried to conserve my energy as best possible for the first seven and a half miles.  I did a fairly good job.  However, my pace slowed markedly after I reached my house after the 7.5 mile marker.  The last two and a half miles hurt a bit - my thighs were burning and I began to get shin splints.  I ran an average pace of 8:27 for the first 7.5 miles - a decent pace.  The last three miles I ran at a 9:06 pace.  You could say I have "7.5 mile" legs right now.  As I train more I should get 'longer' more durable  legs..

Fortunately I did not injure myself but trying to run too far.  Had I  tried to run a mile or two more I would have hurt something to the extent I would have been sidelined for a week or two.

I am going to do three workout this week before the Millersville Mile on Sunday.   I will rest on Friday and Saturday to ensure my legs are as fresh as possible.  I have trained a lot for a six minute run.

No comments:

Post a Comment