Saturday, May 22, 2010

Structured Training

I have been using the Pete Magill training program for about four weeks.  This training incorporates running steep hills, running intervals (alternating slow jogs and fast running), technique drills and medium and long runs.  He recommends training for about ten weeks before expecting appreciable differences in race results.

Prior to adopting this regimen, my training consisted of runs which only varied in their lengths.  The intensity of the runs were proportional to the distance of the runs - more intense for the shorter runs and less intense for the longer runs. It was a very unstructured regimen.

I should benefit to a degree from this structured training regimen for the Millersville Mile race on Sunday. My primary concern for the race is the chance for heavy thunderstorms.  I will run in the rain, but a thunderstorm could postpone the race to a later time or another weekend.  I probably should email the race organizers regarding this scenario.

My son is supposed to run in a fun run on Sunday also.  I believe when he is older he will run in the rain, but for now,  I won't subject him to running in the rain.

I will predict there is a 90% chance I will finish the mile between 5:50 and 6:10 (six minutes and ten seconds). If I finish any faster, I would have to credit the gain to the training program.  If I finish slower, either it rained or I cramped up and faltered during the race.

I have aspirations of finishing in the top ten in my heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment