Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Awesome Long Distance Run

Last Friday I decided to go on my seven and a half mile run around the perimeter of my hometown.  I usually run my 'long run' on Saturdays, but the forecast for Saturday was a day of rain.  (The rain never materialized.)

It was a beautiful day , 69 degrees and sunny. It was my birthday, having just turned 47 years old. I had read somewhere a tempo run should be run at a pace sustainable for an hour..  I did not run at a leisurely pace nor did I run at a very fast pace, such as a mile run or five kilometer pace.


I finished the run averaging an eight minute and four seconds pace per mile.  I ran at a brisk pace, but was not pushing myself to run hard. I felt very good throughout the run.  I usually tire precipitously somewhere within the run.

I have been using a training program created by master's runner extraordinaire Pete Magill for over three weeks. The technique drills I have been are embedded within a video on the web page
  I have noticed my training sessions have been much more sharp and productive since beginning the program. I noticed my 6.2 mile split (10K) during this run was 50 minutes and 14 seconds.  My current personal record for a 10K race, set just this year, is 51 minutes and 44 seconds.

It would be an awesome personal accomplishment if I could average 7 minutes and 45 seconds for the Beach to Beacon 10K race in Maine the beginning of August.  That translates to a 48 minute and 15 second 10K time.

No comments:

Post a Comment