Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Next Up - Millersvile Mile Run

This race takes place on the Millersville University campus  They also have a kids fun run of a quarter mile. I will register my eldest son for this race. We have not raced together this year.  Another Kodak moment together in the making.

My training has become much more interesting due to incorporating a variety of workout types into my current training regimen.  I completed short hill repeats yesterday.  For this workout type you run 50-100 yards up a steep incline.  I did this six times with a two minute rest in between each uphill climb. I grew up on the north side of Palmyra.  There was a steep hill on North Chestnut Street I used to sled down  as a kid.  I use this hill as my training hill. This type of training allegedly will help you to run faster.


Tomorrow I will do an interval training regimen where I will run slightly faster than my 5k race pace for three minutes minutes and then jog at an easy pace for three minutes. I will do this a total of five times.


Later on in the week I will be doing technique drills as well as a long eight mile run.  I have reached a point where I know how much to push myself within my training before I  markedly increase the risk of injuring myself.

The Millersville Mile has to be a fast course because last year four people ran the mile in less than five minutes, with the winner coming in at 4:37.  Of the first six finishers last year, four of them were over 40 years old. I don't have any aspirations of medaling.

What I would like to do is finish under six minutes. I think I will be close, but I am feeling very good about my prospects of achieving this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment