Friday, November 6, 2009

Preparing for Race Day

There are several housekeeping issues I need to address before I awake on race day morning. At first glance, a runner merely needs to assemble shorts, a t-shirt, socks and sneakers for a race. There are a couple of other items I need to organize before race day.

The issue which is causing me the most anxiety is starting the race when the temperature is 42 degrees and windy only to find myself at mile marker twenty with the temperature in the low 60's and no wind. I have a low cold temperature tolerance threshold. I am not enamored with the prospect of standing at the starting line in shorts and a t-shirt for 15-30 minutes waiting for the start of the race while people are walking up and down the streets of Harrisburg in parkas and ski caps.

I don't have many shirts I can wear and just discard on the race route, but I guess I will need to find one if I don't want to start the race as a popsicle.

I will be wearing a road id band on my left wrist. This band contains important information about myself in the event I need medical attention and can't speak for myself. On the other wrist, I will be sporting my Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch. I have already configured the watch to record my split times in half mile intervals. I will also be wearing an elastic band about my chest to record my heart rate throughout the race via the GPS watch. The watch will be fully charged. Only time will tell if the battery can hold a charge for four and a half hours for the marathon.

I would like to record 4:20 half mile splits for the first 8 miles, 4:40 splits for the next 8 miles, and 5:05 splits for the last 10.2 miles. This would translate very roughly to about four hours and twenty minutes. Realistically, I will record times commensurate with what my body tells me I can record. I am setting the split paces as a rough gauge of where I expect my pacing to be throughout the run. If my body tells me I am only capable of running 11:30 minute miles for the last five miles, there is not much I can do.

Another equipment dilemma I am struggling with is where to carry my three Powerbar Gel electrolyte packs. Most of my running short have one very small pocket large enough to carry a credit card and a key. I am not sure where everyone keeps their stash of gels while they run. I do not want to harness on a waist belt because I am concerned about items jiggling within for several hours as well as potential skin irritations. I have a pair of running shorts with pockets, but they are very long shorts, almost resembling basketball shorts. In order to avert chafing issues, I will need to wear compression shorts underneath my running shorts.

I will be wearing Brooks Ghost sneakers with brand new Dr. Scholls insoles. I opted to go with this shoe as I do not believe my normal racing shoe, the Mizuno Ronin 2's, will provide enough cushioning. The Brooks sneakers have a fair amount of cushioning and should thereby help alleviate some of my anticipated shin splint issues. The sneakers are relatively new, with only about forty miles on them to date.

In terms of head gear, I do not believe I will be sporting my USA flag bandana. Since I am follicly challenged, I need to be concerned about sunburn on my dome in the summer. I don't believe this will be an issue on Sunday.

My last issue is which socks to wear. I have a pair of Darn Tough Vermont synthetic sports socks I ran with during the USA 20K national in New Haven Connecticut in September. I don't have another pair I would like to wear which I feel are better than these nor do I want to risk making the wrong sock choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment