Friday, November 20, 2009

No Turkey Trottin' This Year

I went for a run today to see how well my legs would hold up. I intended to run four miles, but came up lame with a groin issue about about the two and a half mile mark. I can't underscore how much the marathon drained me physically. Every ounce of energy I had was drained and every muscle in my legs was as sore as could be.

A benefit of this level of exhaustion is I had no residual tension in any of my muscles due to the stresses of everyday life. My muscles were too sore to be tense.

I have logged about 478 miles of running this year. I would like to run the remaining 22 miles in the forty days left this year. As far as I know there is no runner's 500 mile club, but I will start a local chapter.

I have no desire to race on Thanksgiving because I have done so many five kilometer races this year and feel I have posted my best time possible for this year, 23 minutes and 11 seconds. Over the course of the year I shaved three minutes and forty-seven seconds off of my initial five kilometer time. I think I would be lucky to break twenty two minutes for a race next year, a minute and eleven seconds off of my current personal 5K record.

Because my lovely wife will be attending college next year, I anticipate running only six or seven races in 2010, about one race per month. This way we save money and I can train longer and more effectively for each race. This year I ran so many races I did not have a substantial amount of time to train for each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment