Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Harrisburg Marathon Stew

I have a cataloged additional observations and comments relating to this past Sunday's Harrisburg marathon.

At the beginning of the race there were cheering crowds lining the Market street bridge onto the first turn at Front street. I imagine this cheering section was a microcosm of the experience you would have at a larger marathon, such as the Marine Corps or New York City marathon. I was inspired by the crowds. If there were crowds at the last few miles of the race I would have been embarrassed because I was running so slow. I believe my shadow passed me at one point in the race.

I remember seeing one woman with a thin wooden stick, maybe an inch square and three feet tall, which had a half dozen cowbells mounted upon it. To ring the bells she repeatedly bounced the stick on the ground. She was making the noise of an entire bleacher section at a local high school football game.

A woman was standing on the road between miles two and three in direct line of my running path. I initially wondered why she was standing on the race route. I then noticed she was guarding a water drain on the road I would have most assuredly twisted my ankle upon had she not been there.

The weather could not have been more beautiful for a November day. I believe the temperature at race end was in the low 60's and no wind.

The course was very flat except for miles seventeen, eighteen and nineteen through Wildwood park. Overall the course was a very fair course, i.e., level and fast. I have heard some people gripe about running through an industrial complex around mile thirteen, but c'mon, not every mile will look like a picture postcard.

I had never been to the HACC campus in Harrisburg prior to this race. It's a beautiful campus. I was very impressed by the buildings, parking availability, and the overall layout of the campus. I met my family here at the designated spectator area at around mile fifteen.

At around mile twenty I was overcome by a desire to eat about a half dozen hamburgers. I was snacking on the little Gu - brand electrolyte gel packs throughout the day. After I expended a couple thousand calories for the first twenty miles I needed something a little more substantial to eat than a tablespoon of paste. I felt weakened thereafter because my blood sugar level was deficient and I had no way to rectify my problem until I finished.

This race requires running along the Susquehanna for about six miles in total. The finish consists of running over the Market street bridge over the Susquehanna river to a finish line adjacent to the baseball stadium. Crossing the river you had been straddling for several miles is a neat way to end the race.

I am very envious of people who can run this distance competitively. In an unorthodox way, you have to be tremendously strong to be able to withstand the rigors of a race of this length. I have always had respect for marathoners, but as a result of my marathon experience, my level of respect is much more profound.

While I was disappointed with my finishing time I now have first hand knowledge of what is required to complete a marathon. If I ever decide to take up a marathon again, I will ensure I am sufficiently trained for the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment