Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Garmin Technical Support - Kudos


I recently have been experiencing technical issues with my Garmin Forerunner watch. It would not power up when I connected it to my PC. I had to hold the mode and reset buttons down simultaneously to reboot the watch. The heart rate monitor function quit working. Also the part of the program responsible for providing a visual map of each run was not working. Strange thing was the GPS was working enough to provide distance and pace measurements.

When I came back from the Tim Russell Memorial 5K this past weekend I uploaded my data from the Forerunner 305 watch. I was disappointed to find the race route was not uploaded. For whatever reason I only remembered the beginning of the race and the end of the race. Most likely because the beginning and ending of the course were the same road. I was running with my head down, not taking in the scenery, and as a result I had little or no recollection of the middle segment of the race route.

One benefit of having the race routes mapped is the ability to recall a race rout in the event you want to run the race again in the future. Using the Garmin Connect web site also allows you to replay your run on the mapped course mile by mile or kilometer by kilometer. (mouse-click on the image above to see a full size view of what is mapped by the watch.)

I decided to call Garmin support. These watches are warranted for a year. My watch is four months old. Garmin support was excellent. we resolved my issue in ten minutes. We had to depress the power button and mode button at the same time. This cleared everything out of the watch. All settings. It was in the same state as when I opened the Forerunner 305 box after I initially purchased the watch.

I have reached the point where I am mentally dependent upon the watch for keeping myself abreast of my pace and distance during a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment