Monday, September 27, 2010

Race the Course - Not the Distance

I fully expected to set a new personal record for two miles this past Saturday at the Paxton (Ministries) Fest run. In a cruel twist of fate, I ran almost the exact same time as last year and in the same fashion.  I tackled  the first mile at a 6:39 pace and then proceeded to crash and burn during the second mile.

I was hoping the six hundred miles I have run in training since last year's race would have some benefit in achieving a faster time this year. I knew the second mile was a formidable one, yet I burned my energy reserves in the first mile again.  The last half mile of the race is all uphill. I thought I had enough in the tank for the second mile, but for some inexplicable reason (my BP meds?) I did not.

In hindsight, I should have targeted eclipsing my performance at this course from last year.  I would have been lucky to run a 14:15 this year with a good performance.  The course is not conducive to a fast two mile time.  I spoke with a couple of other runners after the race and their second mile split was much slower than the first mile split. Strangely enough, the first mile is easy and the second mile is hard - a juxtaposition which I was not able to physically maneuver.

I have run two miles as fast at 13:45 (13 minutes and 45 seconds) within a 5K race this year. The caveat is these two miles were not difficult miles.

At this point I am almost afraid to run another race and continue my downward performance spiral.   I have my eye on the York White Rose Five miler in October.  We'll see how my training performances progress.

NOTES: Upon arriving I noticed the local speed merchant Bill Chambers (aged ~ 47) was in attendance for this race.  I was convinced he was going to set a course record as he has run a 4:30 mile in the past.  I believe he finished the run in 10:21 - good enough to garner second place.  He's truly an amazing runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment