Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Quarterback Club of York 5K Results

Labor Day morning was an excellent time to run.  No humidity and the temperature was in the mid 50's.  Perfect conditions for a race.   This race was headquartered at the Sovereign Bank Stadium - home of the York Revolution baseball team. (They are not affiliated with a Major League Baseball team)

I arrived at the stadium about a half hour before the scheduled 8:30am race start. There appeared to be well over 200 runners for this race - a decent turnout for a holiday race.  Mentally I was a little flat for this race. I had begun to question why I am putting myself through these physical stresses to run what amounts to be fun runs. 

While I was warming up for the race I noticed a runner in my age bracket named Bill Chambers.   He finished second last year at this race and a photo with him receiving an award was displayed on the race website at http://qbclubofyork.wikispaces.com.  I was surprised to see he was all but 120 pounds and  5' 7" inches tall - a veritable munchkin, albeit a very fast one. I have noticed elite runners are on the smallish side of the fence.

I felt the course was a very fair one.  The course may have produced a number of 5K personal records, but mine was not to be one of them.  I subjected myself  to a fair amount of mental anguish as I ran this race.  Instead of trailing about 30 runners throughout the race, it appeared I was trailing about 60 or 70 runners.  Maybe there were a better lot of runners this year, but my position served  to drain my confidence throughout the race.  I tried to keep my focus on  maintaining my predetermined pace  - but I was not very successful.

I ran the first mile in seven minutes even. This is the slowest (best pace) I have run the first mile of a 5K this year.  If I could have kept this pace for two more miles I would have set a new personal record.   The second mie of this race was the toughest as it began with a moderate hill climb - although it ended in the same hill's descent.. I finished the second mile in 7:12.

I always have issues with running between the 2.5 and 3.0 mile points in a 5K race.  I have either nothing left by the 2.5 mile point or I am conserving energy and running at a slower pace during this time in an effort to have a fast sprint to the finish line.   In this race I ran the segment between the 2.5 and 2.75 mile markers at a 7:34 pace - well off my goal of 7:00 (seven minutes) per mile pace. My third mile time was a disappointing 7:20 split. I did have something for the end of the race - finishing the last tenth of a mile at a 6:50 pace.

At the very end of the race with about 30 yards remaining to the finish line I heard someone behind me  approaching quickly who had heavy footsteps and was panting heavily.  I quickly shifted into a gear I didn't even know I had at this point of the race and high-tailed it into the finish.  I was able to stave off this runner.  I don't look around at the end of a race to see if anyone is behind me, because I am not concerned.  Lesson to this spurned runner - if you are going to pass someone with 30 yards to go in the race, then don't make a Hollywood production of the pass with the exaggerated breathing, Rocky-esque growls and pronounced sneaker stomping.

My final time was unofficially 22:12, very nearly the exact time of my last 5K race.  I am going to hang  up my cleats this year with respect to 5K races. My official 2010 5K personal record time will be etched in stone as 21:37.  I was disappointed in my time, but truly grateful for being blessed with the abilities I have - even if they are not stellar.

I had a great time at this race and would love to run it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment