Monday, September 20, 2010

Assessing Personal Physical Limitations

Once again I find myself dejected over my progress as a runner.  I embarked on a ten mile run this past Saturday and wound up only being able to run seven miles.  I alternated running and walking the last three miles to get back to my home.

I believe the smorgasbord of medication I am taking for my blood pressure is partially responsible for my erratic performances.  On Saturday morning, I had taken the medication clonidine. 

According to Medcicine.net ...
Clonidine acts by stimulating receptors on nerves in the brain that reduces the transmission of messages from nerves in the brain to nerves in other areas of the body. As a result, clonidine slows heart rate and reduces blood pressure.
Effectively this medicine is 'applying the brakes' to my heart.   It's also a mild sedative.  If I take this medication in the morning I frequently must nap in the afternoon due to an extreme tiredness I am overcome by.  This is why I always take this medication at night.

Lowering my blood pressure is a higher priority than running greater distances or running faster in general.   As it stands now, I need to concentrate on lowering my blood pressure and relegate running long distances to the back burner.

I am excited to run the Paxton Fest 2 Mile run this weekend.  It's benefits the Paxton Ministries - specifically a boarding house for under-privileged persons of all ages.  I ran this race last year so I am familiar with the course. I ran this race in 14 minutes 28 seconds last year, which translates to a 7:14 per mile pace.  I would like to run two miles this year in 13:50 or about a 6:55 (six minutes and 55 seconds)  per mile pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment