Thursday, September 2, 2010

Plantar Fascitis in Town



I have been very fortunate to have not been ill with either a flu or cold or the like since I began running. I have had my share of muscular injuries, the latest being plantar fascitis. This ailment needs a more bourgeois (i.e. less scientific) name like 'heel stinger'.

This pain emanates from the toe (front) side of my heel.  It does not encompass my entire heel. The pain also does not extend from my heel to my arch. For posterity's sake - my left heel is the affected heel.

My heel stinger surfaced in early August. The night before the Beach to Beacon 10K race I could barely walk.  Fortunately it did not affect my B2B run.

My heel stinger remains an issue. I have been applying an icepack on my heel and taking ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. I have also cut back on the frequency of my runs per week. Mornings are especially difficult for this ailment. I can barely walk when I awake because it feels like the muscle has stiffened overnight.

Today has been an especially rough day for pain mitigation as my kidney feels like it is passing a stone once again. My plantar fascitis pain pales in comparison to the pain from my kidney.

Excerpted from wikipedia:
The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the five toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment