Friday, September 3, 2010

Quarterback Club of York 5K Goal

I have an excellent opportunity to set a new personal record for the 5K on Monday, Labor Day, in York. My current 5K PR is 21:37 - I would like to finish with a 21:25 time. This would have placed me 33rd out of 185 runners last year. (top 20%)

The weather will be perfect for this race which is scheduled to begin at 8:30 AM. The temperature should be around 60 degrees at the start of the race. Excessive humidity and/or high winds should not be factors either. I will not have any excuses for a sub-par performance in this respect.

The course appears to be a very level one with only one hill to contend with between 1 and 1.2 miles into the race.  I should have relatively fresh legs when I hit this 2% grade hill.

I went for a tempo run this morning and paced myself terribly - I ran out of gas after three miles. I averaged about a 7:45 minute / mile pace. As it stands now, any training run where I am hitting splits less than eight minutes per mile is a brisk run for myself. Anything over eight minutes per mile is a relatively easy pace for myself.

I wish i knew how to pace myself better. I can run out of gas in a one mile run - because I pace myself so poorly. I did try to hold back slightly in the last 5K I ran - at the Shippensburg fair. I'll try to conserve energy within the first mile or two for this race because I would like to finish a race with a strong kick.

Using last year's results as the basis, I have little chance to medal at this race. There were several runners in my age group who finished under twenty minutes last year. It's ironic I won a medal in my first (and slowest) 5K this year.

This could be a watershed event for myself this year. If I do well, it will provide motivation for continuing my racing pursuits. If I don't do well, I may have reached a point where my body simply can not run much faster or longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment