Thursday, April 22, 2010

Running Technique Drills

I have been running for just over a year.  I was having issues with trying to keep running enjoyable.  How many times can you run the same route without becoming bored ?  My variety in running has been limited to street running and track running. 

There's a gentleman named Pete Magill who wrote an excellent article regarding training for five kilometer races within the April 2010 issue of Running Times. Within the article he touches upon technique drills.  Upon his website site, titled Younger Legs for Older Runners @ http://petemagill.blogspot.com/ he has an excellent video documenting nearly a dozen technique drills.


I decided to give a majority of them a try today at the local high  school track.  I was amazed at how many muscle groups I have not used in the course of my basic training methods to date.  None of Pete's drills are killers or exercises designed to raise your pain tolerance threshold.  Quite the opposite is true.  You  are to concentrate on form and fluidity as opposed to brute speed or strength. 

I am very excited over the prospect of developing my running skills to the extent I can make a quantum leap to the next level, the locally elite runner level. It will take a majority of this year, but I believe at the end of the year I wiill be a very competitive runner in my age band.

No comments:

Post a Comment