Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Running and Personal Growth

I am so grateful I have pursued running as an avocation.  Running is not something I have always aspired to do.  In fact, I have not liked to run for the majority of my life. The convergence of my blood pressure being severely elevated and purchasing contact lenses last year led to my pursuit of running to address my serious health issue.

Running has not only enabled me to get back into shape, I now have more energy than I have had in years.  With two young sons and being in my mid 40's, I need to be there for my boys over the next decade to help them develop their athletic skills.

I have progressed from the level of a neophyte runner to being able to medal in five kilometer races.  Last year I could not run three miles without injuring myself.  The beauty of running is you generally reap the seeds you sow. I have run for nearly 750 miles since I began last year. I have set a personal record for every race I have run this year.

My next race is a one mile race at the end of May.  I have little chance of  finishing first, second or third in this race as last year's medal crew all finished the mile under five minutes and fifteen seconds.  My current one mile personal record is 6:26.  My goal is to break six minutes per mile.

I am going to train a solid six weeks for this next race.  I need to develop some speed which should carry through into my future 5K and 10K endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment