Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Boston Marathon 2010

An American runner did not win this year.  A gentleman named Robert Cheriuyot from Kenya won and set a new course record.  He is 21 years old and could dominate marathon races for years to come. Ironically he is not the same Robert Cheriuyot who has won the Boston marathon several times before.

A marathon race is the worst pairing of my abilities with a race type.  I am more of a sprinter than I am a distance runner.  Generally, sprinters have a larger build than distance runners.  I have lost a fair amount if weight but I would still regard myself as a light Clydesdale.

I would love to accomplish running the Boston marathon as a bucket list item, i.e., something I would like to do before I die.  However, you must qualify for the Boston marathon.  I need to run a qualifying marathon time of three hours and thirty minutes for my age group band.  This translates to running an eight minute mile pace for twenty six miles.  I have yet to eclipse running an eight minute mile consecutively for five miles. I have a long way to go to be good enough to qualify for the Boston marathon.

My best chance for achieving a BQ (Boston Qualifier)  time may occur when I turn 50 and the qualifying time for this next age band for Boston is reduced to a level where you need to average eight minutes and  thirteen seconds per mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment