Monday, October 26, 2009

White Rose Run Training

I am pleasantly surprised regarding how well my training runs have been lately. I was able to run four and a half miles under 38 minutes yesterday on a training run. My training runs are typically much slower than my race day runs. I have enjoyed a substantial adrenaline boost before races which contributes to my faster race day times. I wonder if over time as I run more races if the adrenaline effect will diminish ?

I need to invoke a 'relax and breathe' mantra for the White Rose five mile race on Saturday. I believe my excess adrenaline and desire to set a personal record for each race contributes to my muscles becoming tense and my breathing becoming heavier than necessary during the run.

I would like to finish the five mile race in under 40 minutes, or less than an eight minute per mile pace. In order to qualify for the Boston marathon someday I need to average an eight minute mile pace for a 26.1 mile qualifying marathon run for my age group band of 45-49. I have been able to run a five kilometer (3.1 mile race) with an average pace under eight minutes per mile. My next challenge is to run five miles in under an eight minute per mile pace average.

Excerpted from http://www.racespider.com/pages/race_detail.asp?EventID=2089
The first York White Rose Run was held in 1976 and has been run on the streets of York City for 32 consecutive years. The race has drawn as many as 600+ runners and has been known to attract a field of elite runners from the local and regional areas including Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New York. The USTA certified, five-mile course starts at the 200 block of North George Street, climbs the hills to Farquhar Park and finishes in front of the Sovereign Bank Stadium.

The York White Rose Run is proud to be affiliated with the York Hospital Running Series and is the last of eight series events.

Under new direction of local runners Ryan Myers and Patrick Hickey, this year’s York White Rose Run will be held at 8:30AM on October 31, 2009, rain, or shine. New focus has been given to creating a family fun and community friendly event while increasing exposure of the event to attract runners of all abilities. Awards will be given for both the York White Rose Run and the York Hospital Running Series. This year’s participation goal is to have 400 runners. Since a large number of runners from outside of the York City area will be participating, there is a sense of cooperation with local business to support and benefit from the influx of non-City residents.

The beneficiary of the race is the Early Learning Center at Crispus Attucks. Since its inception in the 1930’s, this mission of the Crispus Attucks Early Learning Center has been to provide the best quality child care in an environment where each child is loved and encouraged to grow physically and academically and to master life skills. The Center offers quality, safe, affordable, and developmentally appropriate child care for children ages four months to twelve years and serves children from diverse ethnic, cultural, and religious backgrounds.

http://www.yorkwhiteroserun.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment