Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Running in October

Now that October has arrived, the weather will be playing an increasingly larger role in determining when and how much I train this month. The hours of light in a day are rapidly diminishing and the temperatures are falling into the 40's. When the weather is sunny and in the 50's, the the conditions are great for running. Add in a scenic route with the leaves changing, and you could argue this is the best time of the year for running outdoors.

There are two races I am interested in running this weekend. There is a Polar Bear 5K in Dillsburg and a 10K called Frosty Kerney in Hamburg. Both of these towns are in Pennsylvania. I am leaning toward the Frosty Kerney race because I would like to record a 10K time better than my current fifty-nine minute and change personal record. The weather for this weekend has been forecasted to be very cold and rainy. I have no desire to run either one of these races in a cold rain.

Note: The Frosty Kerney was postponed until Saturday October 24th due to the inclement weather.

I have run for a total of seven miles in the last two days. It has been easier to breathe with the temperatures in the 50's. It's slightly chilly, but I feel like my lungs are working more efficiently in this colder weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment