Thursday, October 22, 2009

Competetive Energy Accumulating

There are two races I am interested in running this weekend, the Miles for Smiles 5K in Hershey and the Frost Kerny 10K run in Hamburg Pa. Unfortunately there is a 70% chance of rain for Saturday morning. The temperatures are to be warmer this weekend than last. Fortunately I did not sign up in advance for either of these races.

The Hershey run is but minutes away from my house, but they are charging $25 for a 5K which is most likely a race with minimal accompaniments such as food, beverages, and general ambiance. In addition, T-Shirts are provided to only 75 runners. Finally, they do not post the results of the race anywhere on the internet. A search on the internet for Miles for Smiles runs returns dozens of races throughout the country, none of them in Hershey Pa.

The Frosty Kerney is an hour trip each way and I would be facing a fifty plus minute run in the rain. Even if it were a light drizzle, over the course of fifty minutes I imagine I would be drenched at the conclusion of the race.

I have signed up for the York White Rose Five Mile run next Saturday at Sovereign Bank stadium. This is a major running event for this area as runners from other countries participate in this event. I am not sure why because the prize money awards, five of them by gender, ten in total, range from $250 for first place to $50 for fifth place. It is the 32nd annual running of this race.

I researched the elevation changes of the course on http://www.gmap-pedometer.com. It appears there is a substantial climb between mile marker one and two. The remainder of the course is level.

This is a larger race, with a field typically ranging between two hundred and six hundred runners. I will run this race regardless of the weather next Saturday because it is a high profile and very competitive race. I am also in a great position to set a new personal record for the five mile. The last time I ran a five mile race was on July 11th.

Note: I recorded my 400th mile of running yesterday for this year on my Garmin Connect website I use to record my workouts from my Forerunner 305 GPS watch. I have actually run a few miles more which were not logged because the watch ran out of a charge while running several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment