Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Surpassed 1000 Miles of Running

I began running to get into shape in February of 2009.  In the roughly year and a half since then I have run over 1000 miles between racing and training. In terms of regulating a healthy body weight, running has been an unmitigated success. In terms of helping to regulate my blood pressure, the results have not been as favorable.

If you read the running magazines Runner's World and Running Tines you'll see the pages littered with people who run hundreds of miles a month within their training regimen.  Even if I had the time to log several hundred miles a month, I don't believe my body could handle the stresses of such an intense program.

I am very eagerly awaiting the one mile run in Harrisburg next week. If I finish in the top 12 for my age bracket and under six minutes per mile it will vindicate my rigorous training regimen. Tomorrow morning my training will consist of running up a 9% grade hill about 150 yards in length six times in an effort to build strength in my legs. Stronger legs are supposed to translate into faster times.

No comments:

Post a Comment