Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Running Re-Evaluation

Occasionally I need to step back and  evaluate my perspective toward running in general.  I have become very dedicated toward training while maintaining a balance with my work and family life. 

At a recent appointment with my primary care physician,  she recommended I cease running because of my poor kidney functioning.  However, just two weeks ago I had seen a nephrologist (kidney doctor) and he did not recommend eliminating running from my activities.  What is not in dispute is my kidneys are functioning on a level of someone who is in their 60's.

At this point, I would not have a problem with relinquishing very long runs, such as anything over five miles.  However, I can't come to grips with not running at all.  The cruel irony is I have worked hard to become fit and now am confronted with real physical limitations being placed upon myself by my body.

In any event, I am fully rested and ready for the mile race on Front street in Harrisburg today. In contrast to some other races I have run in Harrisburg this year, this race is run on Front street itself. A carnival atmosphere pervades this event as their are kid-centric activities, a local radio station playing music, spectators and vendors lining the street.

Last year my heat of aged 45-49 men and women started at 7:45 pm.  While this is later than I typically run, it may be beneficial if the temperature and humidity are less of factors at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment