Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Over Training

My training today required running intermediate hill repeats.  I run at a very brisk pace up a steep hill (a 9% grade at the Palmyra Sportsmen's club) for one minute and then rest for two minutes. I repeat this cycle a total of six times. My legs were so weak on the first ascent I could barely run thirty seconds without stopping to rest.

I decided to finish the entire workout. It may have been more to my benefit to quit the workout and wait another day in an effort to have my leg muscles more fully recover from previous training sessions.

I had expected to reach my previous mark from my last intermediate hill repeat effort on my one minute treks up this hill but was unable to do so. 

I don't think anyone purposely attempts to over-train.  You have to listen to what your body is telling you on each training outing.  Today my body spoke very clearly. I need some rest before I engage in another training session. I am going to take Thursday, Friday and Saturday off in an effort to reclaim some power in my legs.

Sunday I will do 3/4 mile repeat sprints and then I will take Monday and Tuesday off and rest before the Millers Mutual Mile race in Harrisburg on Wednesday.   I have trained sufficiently for this race.  I need to rest and recover some energy this week to be fully prepared to have a decent race next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment