Friday, February 19, 2010

1OK Race Strategy

Within most every race I ran last year, I came out of the gates full speed ahead and guns blazing. If you are in shape, this might be a viable racing strategy where you attempt to intimidate your opponents by coming out of the blocks at warp speed and demoralize them. A fair amount of adrenaline has accumulated by the time the starter gives the signal to begin the race. I need to be able to channel it for use late in the race.

If you are not in excellent shape, which is were I found myself last year, you run the risk of exhausting your energy reserves prematurely and then are consequently reduced to a hobbling chicken for the last stages of the race.

I need to hold back initially for this first couple of miles of this race. I would like to see my last mile be the fastest mile of my race, instead of the first mile, as was so typical last year.

Ten kilometers is not as a formidable distance as it once was for me. I recently have run a 54:15 ten kilometer training run. My average training run for the Month of February to date is over five and a half miles.

If I plug in a twenty-five minute 5K time on the http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm running calculator web site, it extrapolates I should be able to run a 10K in 51 minutes and 56 seconds. I would love to break 52 minutes, but I feel a more reasonable goal is breaking 53 minutes. All of this assumes the weather next weekend is conducive to racing.

I'd like to hit 2:06 for each quarter mile split. I love my Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch for pacing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment