Friday, August 28, 2009

Zen Like Running

I decided to try to run five kilometers after work yesterday in spite of not feeling 100% recovered from my bout with a tooth infection. I had been having issues with becoming very weak and light headed during my last two runs. My plan was to run 2.5 kilometers away from my home and then come back the same route.

I ran at a slow relaxed pace trying to conserve my energy for the run. In a nutshell, running with mental effort dedicated toward conserving my energy by running at a comfortable pace, conscientiously breathing with deeper breathes than normal, and repeating to myself in a mantra like fashion "Glide through the wind" enabled me to run ten kilometers without having to stop and walk.

When I run a 5K race I run as if there were an angry bear chasing after me. I am hell bent on getting to the finish line as soon as possible. Recently a man jogged through our development past our house. He initially caught my eye because he ran very upright, almost like a pencil with legs. In spite of his strange gait, he had a very calm and relaxed aura as he ran. He appeared as though he could run for days. When I run my face is filled with a grimace as if I am in the midst of a kidney stone bout.

For my next two races I must sacrifice pace and make a very concerted effort to conserve my energy in order to finish the races. I believe purposefully breathing deeply will help to eliminate my recent side stitch issue. I have to throw away my plans for goal paces by kilometer and rededicate myself to getting to the finish line without walking. Most of all I need to relax more while I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment