Thursday, August 20, 2009

Elizabethtown Twilight Training Finished

I completed an 8K (~ five mile) run this morning with the temperature in the low 70's and a fine misty rain. I completed this run in about 44 minutes, or an 8:48 / mile = 5:28 /km pace. I felt very good throughout the run. Premature fatigue due to excessive humidity or high temperatures was not a factor.

I have decided my goal pace will be five minutes and fifteen seconds per kilometer ( equivalent to an 8:27 / mile pace). This would yield a time of about 52 minutes and 40 seconds, nearly seven minutes quicker than my June 14th Classic 10K race in New York.

The forecasted temperature for Sunday evening is in the high 70s's with a slight possibility of rain. I will definitely wear my new racing flats, Mizuno's Ronin 2's, for this race. I am rethinking whether I am going to use them for my two 12+ mile runs in September. I would be in for an unwelcome surprise if I developed shin-splints or the like at mile marker eight in one of these races due to the diminished cushioning ability of these shoes. I will be fine running ten kilometers with these shoes.

Fridays are typically a day off for me. Taking it easy on Saturday and the majority of Sunday should serve to allow my internal energy packs to be fully charged at race time.

I am not a die hard fan of carbohydrate loading before a race, but I do like to have spaghetti for a meal once in the days before I race. This practice hasn't reached the status of a pre-race ritual. I can't say I have any quirky race day habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment