Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Running Gear - My Perspective

I have been running for nearly six months this year and have accumulated some experiences related to running accessories.

Not surprisingly, the most important piece of running equipment is the running shoe. There are several classifications of running shoe. Stability, Motion Control, Neutral Cushioned, Racing to name a few. When I initially began my training I weighed 215 pounds. Conventional wisdom directed heavier runners toward stability shoes. My first pair of shoes were the Saucony Progrid CS Stabils. Because they have additional support built into the sole, they are a very heavy and cumbersome shoe. My next pair of shoes, Mizuno Wave Rider 12's, were neutral cushioned shoes. They are much lighter and have proven to be a very comfortable training shoe.

I recently purchased a racing shoe, the Mizuno Ronin 2. (pictured above) This is an extremely lightweight shoe with minimal cushioning. I intend to only use these for races. I test drove these shoes today at the Palmyra track this morning. One strange shoe feature surfaced. While I was running the uppers proved to be very breathable. I could feel air passing through the shoe and cooling my toes. I will again test drive these shoes on the road this Saturday to determine if I will blister on long runs.

I have several synthetic moisture wicking shirts. While I do believe they are more comfortable than cotton shirts, you still must contend with a shirt prone to becoming drenched with perspiration at the conclusion of a long run. In essence, you accumulate sweat quicker than the synthetic shirt can dissipate the sweat. Both cotton and synthetic shirts absorb and retain perspiration, but since the synthetic shirts are much lighter they do not retain as much perspiration.

Synthetic socks are much more comfortable than cotton socks. Cotton socks create excessive friction over the course of a long run. The soles of your feet can become very irritated and turn red from the abrasion. I must admit I found a capable pair of Starter brand synthetic socks at Walmart for less than $3.00 a pair. Synthetic socks generally run from ten to twenty dollars a pair. Synthetic socks also tout a moisture wicking feature, but it's been my experience it's more hype than fact. My synthetic socks are drenched after a long run. The major benefit of a synthetic sock is the lack of skin irritation due to minimal abrasion from the sock.

I have running shorts which have pockets and are of a length which runs halfway down my thigh for training runs. I also have running shorts where nearly all of your leg is exposed and would be regarded as short-shorts. Once my chicken legs become more athletic looking I will wear the short shorts more frequently. Currently, I regard these as race shorts because you have slightly better freedom of movement while running. Their is no rubbing of materials on your inner thighs as you stride throughout a run with the short shorts.

Running is a very affordable endeavor to partake in from both a training and competition perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment