Friday, August 7, 2009

Training Personal Best

I decided to go for a long slow distance run yesterday (Thurs Aug 6th) as the humidity was low and the temperature was mild. My new training plan has LSD runs scheduled for a day within the weekend. I ran a total of 15 kilometers which translates to approximately 9.4 miles. This was the longest distance I have run in my lifetime.

I did not look at my watch until the 11km mark as I was nearing my home because I was not concerned about my pace. I merely wanted to finish 15 kilometers.

My splits were as follows;

5K - 27 minutes 47 seconds -> 8:57 /mi or 5:33 /km pace
10K - 57 minutes 10 seconds -> 9:11 /mi or 5:42/km pace
15K - 1 hour 28 minutes 41 seconds -> 9:31 /mi or 5:51 pace

If check the website http://www.mcmillanrunning.com to the accuracy of it's pacing projector.

If you type in my 15K time of 1 hour 28 minutes 41 seconds the projection for my 5K time is 27 minutes 33 seconds and the 10K time is 57 minutes and 14 seconds. The mcmillanrunning web site is remarkably accurate for estimating your run times for distances you haven't raced based upon historical performances. Using this website as the gauge to project my half marathon time yields a value of 2:07:21. I have some work to do before I can break two hours.

I felt decent for the 15K run up until the 12K mark. The last three kilometers of this run were very difficult and transpired at a much slower pace than the first twelve. By my calculations I completed the last three kilometers at a 6:30 /km pace ~(10:30/mile).

No comments:

Post a Comment