Thursday, December 10, 2009

Running in the Winter

I have had the opportunity to complete a few runs in sub 40 degree weather this winter. None of them have been run while in the midst of any precipitation. Supplementing my running jacket and pants outfit with a knit hat and gloves has been sufficient to withstand the cold. I forgot my gloves on one run and my fingers were pretty cold after a half an hour of running. Wearing thicker synthetic socks also helps to insulate against the wind coming through the mesh portions of my sneakers.

Another bonus byproduct of running is my ability to withstand colder temperatures is much better than years past. For whatever reason, I can wear a windbreaker outside now in 30 something degree weather and not be freezing.

I have yet to run on streets covered with snow, slush or ice. I imagine an inch or two of dry snow may not pose a higher degree of hazardous faring, but most any other accumulation would be risky. I need to be especially careful of drivers who have not defrosted their windows sufficiently to see a full 180 degrees before them.

I have four separate programs I am using to keep track of my runs. Two of them are online, Garmin Connect and Running Ahead while the other two are pc applications, Garmin's Training Center and Zone Five's Sport Tracks. Each one of them is generating a different calendar year 2009 total for the miles I have run. They span anywhere from 480 to 510 miles. I need to reconcile them and determine what the official amount is for the year. I suspect I may have some biking miles included in the running totals somewhere. As it stands now, two of the programs indicate I have eclipsed 500 miles for the year, while the other two have me a couple miles short of the mark.

I have run a little more than 20 miles this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment