Thursday, December 17, 2009

End of the Year Thoughts

This year represented my most physically active year as an adult. The last time I had exercised as much as I have this year was in the early 1980's while at college at Penn State. I was an avid basketball player, spending many evenings playing within pick-up games in the White building. I will have run over five hundred miles this year. To give you an idea how far that is, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is about 560 miles away from our house in south-central PA.

I ran in twenty one races this past year, ranging from one mile to twenty six miles in length. I ran them in no prescribed order, the race lengths occurred this year in essentially a random fashion. Each month I would scan the internet to find upcoming races.

I need to spend more time with my oldest son next year to help him begin developing athletically. He seems to have an affinity for baseball. Ironically, baseball was the first sport I played as a youth. I had a very good arm but was only average batting at the plate.

Finances will play a much more important role next year with respect to the number of races I enter. With my wife going to school and our debts mounting, we will be forced to limit spending to food only for many weeks. When faced with the choice to spend twenty dollars on a race entry fee or our family eating for the day, it's an easy choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment