Friday, May 1, 2009

Managing Anxiety on Race Day


Prior to my practice 5K run this week, I was very concerned the Winning Kick 5K race on Sunday could quite possibly be a humiliating experience. I had been training very diligently, but without the 5K training this week I would have doubted my ability to complete the race every step throughout the race. Having successfully trained at this distance has substantially lowered my overall race day anxiety level.

The two primary issues I am concerned with this Sunday is to warm up sufficiently to avoid any muscle pulls and to maintain the pace I set (~ 9 minute mile) this past week during the practice 5K run. If I accomplish these two items, I believe I should have a good day. I am in a good position to beat my 5K PR (personal record) mark of 27:35.

Breaking News: I signed up for a 5 mile run in Lansdale PA on Saturday May 16th. I have never competed in a race longer than 5K. I will be testing the boundary of my endurance limits.

As the summer progresses, a five mile run should become a walk in the park. Right now, I would categorize this race length as "I'm going to cough up a lung if this five mile trek to the finish line does not end soon."

I also signed up my oldest son Dylan for a kid's 1/2 mile race. Each kid will receive a medal for finishing the race in addition to a grab bag of goodies. I can see this event spurring many races this summer around our house against my son Dylan for imaginary medals. He's too young (six years old) to begin running, but not too young to develop an inner drive for athletic competition.

Went for a 14 mile bike ride this morning from 5-6 am. I plan to take Saturday off from training.

No comments:

Post a Comment