Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Basic Running Training Methods


In order to exercise and get in shape for months on end, you need to keep a freshness to the variety of your training to allow you to maintain your focus toward achieving your goals.

Two basic types of training for running have evolved for me to date.

I have one type where I run long, for example, I ran six miles this past Sunday. This does not help very much cardio-wise, but is excellent for losing weight.

The second type of running is where I ran hard for three minutes and then walk one minute - for anywhere between 8 and 12 sets. I believe its called interval training . This is excellent for cardio and not as good for losing weight. I dd 12 sets of the run 3 minutes / walk 1 minutes today for a total of 5 miles.

I need to incorporate some strength training in my regimen but I am not sure how to fit the time in my schedule to do so.

Someone mentioned plyometrics recently. It is "a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in a specific sport." I'd like to find out more about this - but again I'm not sure how to fit this into my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment