Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ukrops Monument Avenue 10K pre-race sentiments

In a couple of days the family and I will be traveling to southern Virginia for this race.  It has been several months since our family has gone on a trip.  We typically commute eight hours to Maine for our family trips.  The four hour commute to Virginia should be well received by our kids.

I fully expect the starting corrals should alleviate congestion on the roads containing 40,000 runners. In order to qualify for a corral you had to submit a link to race results from a previous 10K race.  I used my 46:55 at the 2010 Beach to Beacon 10K in order to qualify for the third or "C" corral.  Each corral is comprised of 1500 runners. I will be among the first 2250 runners with some 37,000+ runners behind me.

I feel I am poised to set a personal record for ten kilometers.  I am slightly concerned about the temperatures being cold for race time. It looks like race start temps may be in the low 40's.  This could have an adverse impact on race times.  Another concern is there is a 30 percent chance or rain on Saturday.

I enjoy being among the crowds for big races.  Everyone shares a common bond for running.  And many people have motivational stories behind the running avocation.  This race will be especially interesting because there is an organizer sponsored contest for costumed runners.  I almost forgot to mention there will be many bands playing along the course, diving the whole event a carnival atmosphere.

I've set an ambitious goal of running a sub 45 minute 10K. That would represent a two minute improvement in my time.  I would venture a guess I will finish in 45:40 at the 2011 Ukrops Monument Ave 10K race.

No comments:

Post a Comment