Thursday, June 3, 2010

PA DUI Association 10K

I have completed my training this week for my beginning of the summer benchmark 10K run on Saturday. It has been my experience ten kilometer runs primarily consist of veteran runners.  Last year there were about 120 runners participating in this event. Of those runners,  sixty of them were men.  There were only nine men who ran a nine minute per mile pace or slower. Using last year's results as the barometer, I should place about 60th in this race.

I am anxious to run this race because I enjoy running along the Susquehanna river. I believe this will be a trail run along the river as opposed to a road run on Front Street, the street which parallels the river. I am under the impression this is a very flat course.  I am concerned the temperatures may be in the 70's at 9:00 am on Saturday. I will be well rested, having completed no running on the two days prior to the race.  I should have fresh legs.


I would like to hit a 1 minute 55 second split for each quarter mile.  This would yield  a 10K time of about 47 minutes and 40 seconds.  (My mile pace would average about 7:40. ) This is a very aggressive split.  My current personal 10K record is 51:44, which averages about 8:20 per mile.

In order to eventually qualify for the Boston Marathon, I need to average an eight minute per mile pace for twenty-six miles.  I would like to eclipse an eight minute per mile pace for this 6.2 mile run.  My next goal would then be to run a ten mile run in less than an eight minute per mile pace. I don't have any aspirations of qualifying for Boston this year.. Next year I may be in good enough shape to attempt to run a competitive marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment