Friday, June 11, 2010

Colon Cancer Prevention 5k Run & Fun Walk

I had no aspirations of running another race this month but the Colon Cancer Prevention 5k Run on City Island within Harrisburg appears to be a large production with many amenities.  Last year there were over 400 runners who finished the race.

This race will feature chip timing provided by a company.named Applied Race Management Solutions.  This should allow for a very fast race results turnaround.  (In contrast,  the results for the PA DUI Association 10K race I ran last Saturday have not been posted nearly one week later.)  If you look at the Applied Race Management Solutions website, they have no race results posted. I hope everything goes well if this is the first race this company will be managing.  http://www.appliedracemgmt.com/results.html

All pre-registered runners will receive a 'Run Strong' medallion, pictured above.

excerpted from the web page http://live.psu.edu/story/40069
This race is dedicated to Palmyra resident and competitive runner William F. Foran, who lost his battle with colon cancer. Money raised will support colorectal cancer prevention, testing and counseling at the Medical Center.
Judging from the race results from last year, if I run anywhere near my 5K personal record of 21:37 I will again fall shy of finishing in the money (i.e. getting a medal)  at this race. At this point, I have not found the race route published anywhere.  Since this is the fourth year that this race has been run, there should be a race layout available online somewhere.

How much better can I run a 5K in just three weeks of training since my last race of the same distance?  I would like to equal the 21:37 time I ran three weeks ago.  Prior to that run my personal best was 22:48.  I have only run a sub 22 minute 5K race once. The course is touted as a flat course.  Hopefully the course will be conducive to a new personal record.

No comments:

Post a Comment