Friday, January 22, 2010

New Track Shoes

The Running Warehouse is having a sale where they are giving away track & field shoes for $16. I picked up a pair of these. They are extremely lightweight, about 6.5 ounces. Normal running shoes are about 12 ounces.

Evaluating my performance from last year, I was most competitive in the shorter races. While in high school, I was a sprinter. I have developed the ability to run longer distances, however my God-given talent most closely aligns with shorter races.

I will be able to use these shoes to train at the both the Hershey and Palmyra high school tracks. The Hershey track is minutes from where I work, the Palmyra track is minutes from where I live. They are not meant to put miles and miles on - they may last only one season depending upon how much track work I do this year.

I have yet to be able to turn a quarter mile at the track in less than one minute and forty seconds. In order for me to break a six minute mile this year, I need to run four consecutive 90 second quarter miles.

i believe it is harder to run a fast quarter mile on the track because a major part of the route is going around the turns. When you are running a quarter mile on a road course all of your energy is inline with the direction you are running. I don't know how to demonstrate this but I believe you are going slower in the turns on the track than when you are on the straightaways.

No comments:

Post a Comment