Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trots

 Thanksgiving has traditionally been a day of rest in my life. Eat, drink and be merry day.  I am not one to be a creature of habit.  For the most part, I embrace change. I believe I will run my first Thanksgiving day race this year.

There are two Thanksgiving days races that have piqued my curiosity. The first race is in my hometown and is called the Sticks and Biscuits 5K.  The race benefits local ice hockey teams. The second race is in New Cumberland and is called the Turkey Trot 5K. This race benefits Vickie's Angel Walk  - an organization who helps families fighting cancer.

I will most likely run the Sticks and Biscuits 5K, due to proximity.  Last year (2009)  was the inaugural race for the S&B 5K. Their website indicated they had timing issues.  In response to this issue they are using electronic RFID tag scoring this year. Last year's race was an astounding success in terms of the numbers of registered runners. There were nearly 350 runners.

This race is being heavily advertised in town as there are dozens of S&B 5K yard placards displayed about town.  I would like to be part of a hometown race which may draw in excess of 400 runners this year.  Many of the best runners in the area will be present.  I don't regard myself as one of the best runners in the area - not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment